« Home | Woo hoo! Another one! Mel-T has joined our little ... » | So, doesn't it look like I've got a ton of friend... » | Yay to Marcia for giving in and getting an easyjo... » | Forgive me for the lack of blogage lately. I figur... » | I'm Nemo! What Finding Nemo Character are You? b... » | It's Quiz Friday You are Form 9, Vampire: The Undy... » | Telephonic conversations Funniest.Phone Conversati... » | We hate Winnipeg I tend to treat each week, each d... » | Happy Colombus Day So, after getting ditched by my... » | Unhappy Thanksgiving Oh Gina, why did your car hav... »

The power of apathy
I suppose that title is a bit contradictory. Today was the date for the alcohol thing or whatever, which no one really understands. Or at least not the average person. We (us average people) know it as whether or not we're getting a Boston Pizza. Really, I'd rather we not have a Boston Pizza. The pizza itself is so-so as far as pizza goes, and the pasta really bites. The atmosphere is good, the staff at the ones I've been to are really good, but that doesn't say those things will be the same in Winkler, unfortunately. I'd be nice if we'd get classier restaurants, but unfortunately, most classy restaurants need to serve alcohol.

Oh and by the way, if you haven't figured it out yet, I didn't vote. At first I was like, "I'm going to vote, if for no other reason, than just to spite those baptist people", but then I was too lazy to get off my can, so I just figured, meh. I am a firm believer in that one vote doesn't count anyway. A lot of single votes do, yes. But not one single one. I know I'm not the only person who thinks like that, which makes it a problem. But in a town like this, it's hard to think one person (who isn't old, and male) could make any type of difference anyway.

So, alcohol. Yes. Well, everyone can agree that alcoholism and associated things really really suck. Really. There's much more to this 'referendum' than failing family values, though. It's hard to distinguish whether 'they' are fighting for a right or a privilege in asking for whatever it is they want. I say 'they' because I'm not exactly sure who wants this so badly, besides the teenage stoners of course.

There's the teenage rebel in me who wants it to pass, just to stick it to 'the old people'. There's the other part of me, who doesn't want this town to change, so it can stay the place where I want to come back to to raise my kids. Maybe I'm being selfish, I mean, change is necessary. Winkler can be stronger without this. I am completely on both sides of this. I don't even really like any kind of alcohol. Not really anyway. I'm probably starting to sound like an old person, and believe me, sometimes I feel like one.

Honestly, a big deal shouldn't be made out of this all. It really won't change things a whole lot immediately if it goes through. I know teenagers are picturing the alcohol more easily accessed, but that still isn't the case. Ordering a drink in a restaurant is all this allows. Ordering a drink in a more-than-likely-crappy restaurant.

I fell like ranting on about crumbling morals and all of that brimstone and hellfire stuff like the baptists, but I would feel like a hypocrite preaching about how this will make winkler a terrible place to live, and we're all going to hell now, but that's definitely not how it works.